Thursday, June 23, 2011

Gusto ko 'to! (*I like this!*)

I am married to my best friend from high school, my first *real* boyfriend, the boy who has made my life spin wonderfully round and round...and I have learned things from him that I cherish everyday.
 
We're also from different cultures (he's filipino!)...which makes it even better because I've learned so much about his country's cuisine. 
It took me a while to find my favorite dish (if truth be told, it took me a minute to really really like the dishes- but now that I've mastered the fork and spoon, I'm all over it : ).  AND after first tasting the dish below, I was in love! 
 
Filipino beef steak is *awesomely divine*...add a plate of rice with it (sorry, not just a scoop in my house) and YUM-MEEE!!
 
Filipino Beef Steak
(my mouth is watering already!)
bistek 
Recipe found here: Home Cooking Rocks!
 
Ingredients

1/2 kilo of beef (round, sirloin or tenderloin), sliced 1/4-inch thick
4 tbsp. of kalamansi (native lemon) juice
1/4 c. of dark soy sauce
freshly-ground pepper
1 tsp. of minced garlic
2 large onions, cut into rings
2 tbsp. of cooking oil
 
Instructions
  • In a glass mixing bowl, mix kalamansi or lemon juice and soy sauce. Add beef, garlic and ground pepper. Mix well. Let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  • Heat a heavy skillet. Add oil. Lightly fry the onion rings. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels. Keep warm.
  • Reheat oil until smoking. Pan-fry the beef slices in batches, removing them as they brown.
  • When all the beef has been cooked, pour the marinade into the skillet and boil for 1 minute.
  • Arrange beef slices on a plate. Place the onion rings on top.
  • Pour the sauce over the onions and beef.
  • Serve at once.
Cooking time (duration): about 50 including marinating time
Number of servings (yield): 3 to 4 
****~~~~****~~~~*****
And then you can add this song to the mix while you're cooking:) 

And, yes, I'm proud to be an "honorary filipina" wifey...
Not only is the food pretty darn scrumptious, but the extended family you get on top of that?
Priceless!
~ Nay ~

3 comments:

Zakiya LadyWings said...

You can use any quote that inspires you! If you'd like to use the quote I have posted, you can use that one, too. It's whatever works for you :)

Thanks for stopping by the blog!
~Zakiya

girlichef said...

I love being married to someone from a different culture, too...this dish looks fantastic! =)

Nay said...

-girli-make it and let me know what you think!